The Pet Friendly Way To De-Ice This Winter

Posted on February 01, 2017 by Michael Moll

dog on icey sidewalk

More often than not, the most popular de-icing salt or the cheapest is dangerous to our furry friends. They contain chemicals that can cause skin irritation and burns, digestive upset if ingested and even nervous system problems. The sodium chloride component breaks down in their system and causes sodium toxicity, this results in staggering, lethargy and even seizures.

What most people don't understand is that the risk is not only associated with dogs who eat the salt right from the bag, but the ones who lick it off their paws after being outside. So the next time you need to buy salt, look for bags that have a pet-friendly label on it, they typically contain urea, glycols, or other non-salt components. It is important to know that even these options can cause problems if ingested in large quantities.


pet safe salt 


Source (Image): Top Dog Tips

Posted in Raising Awareness